Perhaps you have noticed an erratic driver in your rearview mirror in the recent past. Or have you ever wondered why a car appears to be driving well below the posted speed limit? It might be because that driver is intoxicated. Here are some tell-tale signs that a driver might be impaired:
- Quick acceleration or deceleration
- Drifting in and out of traffic lanes
- Driving with headlights off at night
- Weaving across the road or across lanes of traffic
- Stopping for no reason
If you do see a driver exhibiting these behaviors, there are a few things you can do to protect yourself and other drivers.
- Stay away from the suspected vehicle and do not attempt to get the driver to pull off the road
- Without getting too close, try to get the license plate number as well as other information such as the make, model, and color of the car
- Pullover and call 9-1-1 – give the operator a description of the vehicle and the direction in which it is traveling
According to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration, one person dies every 50 minutes in a drunken-driving accident. Have you suffered injuries from a driver exhibiting any of the above driving habits? Call our team today to schedule a free consultation.
Approved by attorney Peter DePaolis