In December 2008, Washington, D.C. paramedics made a medical misdiagnosis that cost a 39-year-old man his life. When Edward Givens told paramedics he was having difficulty breathing and experiencing chest pains, their recommendation was to take some Pepto Bismol for what they said was acid reflux. Mr. Givens later died from what was actually a heart attack. The victim’s family is now pursuing a wrongful death claim against the District.
Washington, D.C. personal injury lawyer William Lightfoot is the Givens’ family attorney, and he says the paramedics misdiagnosed Edward’s condition. Paramedics should have taken the Givens to the hospital, according to Lightfoot. The Givens family hopes that their lawsuit will send a message and lead to better training and other improvements in the city’s emergency medical services department.
The judge’s approval for the wrongful death suit against the city marks an initial legal victory for the family. Improper medical training can cost lives and needless suffering for family members. Contact a Washington, D.C. personal injury attorney if you or a loved one suffers injuries from medical malpractice. An attorney at Koonz, McKenney, Johnson & DePaolis can offer a free and informative consultation about your medical negligence claim.