Koonz, McKenney, Johnson, DePaolis & Lightfoot, LLP
District of Columbia D.C. (202) 796-3291
Virginia VA (703) 498-2928
Maryland MD (301) 637-4614
se habla español
Call today for your free consultation
ES
se habla español
Back
Experienced at winning cases for people who need justice
Washington DC Personal injury law firm

Carbon Monoxide Leak Sends Over 40 People to Hospital

Roger Johnson

Residents of a Northwest DC addiction rehabilitation clinic suffered injuries after a carbon monoxide leak in the building’s basement late last month. Rescue workers transported over 43 people from the Second Genesis house to the hospital. Three of the victims suffered serious injuries, according to washingtonpost.com.

Several people inside the building began getting sick, prompting the call to 911. A fire official said a leaky basement water heater likely caused the dangerous carbon monoxide fumes to fill the building. Upon arrival, fire crews evacuated the entire building. Ambulances, school buses and hazardous material vehicles were on-hand to transport the victims to the hospital.

Gas water heaters can be one of several causes of a deadly carbon monoxide leak. Other sources include:

  • Charcoal grills
  • Propane heaters and stoves
  • Kerosene space heaters
  • Boat engines
  • Spray paint and paint removers

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headaches, drowsiness, dizziness, nausea, chest pain, vomiting, fainting, abdominal pain, confusion and impaired judgment. Get out of the building immediately if you experience any of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.

If everyone inside your home or another person’s property is experiencing the above symptoms, including pets, it is a telltale sign of a carbon monoxide leak. Have you ever been the victim of carbon monoxide poisoning? Tell us about your experience.

Koonz, McKenney, Johnson, DePaolis & Lightfoot, L.L.P.

Maryland, Washington, D.C. and Virginia Injury Attorneys

Approved by attorney Roger Johnson