Car accidents in DC can happen in seconds, however, the effects can last a lifetime. Motor Vehicle Accidents include any accident resulting from collisions involving one or more automobiles, motorcycles and scooters, trucks, subway, airplanes or boats. These types of vehicle accidents are among the most common causes of accidental injury and death nationwide. Having a dedicated and proven Washington D.C. car accident lawyer on your side helps when tragedy strikes.
If you or a loved one suffered personal injuries in a collision caused by another driver, you need to understand the laws surrounding such accidents and your ability to recover the compensation you need from the responsible party. Our car accident law firm prides itself in helping accident victims and are ready to fight for your case. The following information, provided by a Washington DC car accident lawyer, will help educate you about what to do if you were involved in a transportation accident and your legal rights afterward.
Car accidents are very common, yet often preventable. Our trusted Washington DC lawyers handle too many accident cases that could have been avoided, which is why we created our guide on how to avoid car accident in and around DC. While you cannot prevent all accidents, following our tips can help lower your risk of becoming involved as well as prevent and/or minimize injuries in an accident.
What Should I Do If I Was in any DC Car Accidents?
If you have been involved in a transportation accident, it is important that you immediately seek medical attention. In addition to consulting a physician, you should record the following information as soon as possible to ensure that you fully remember the details of your accident:
- The location, date and time of the accident
- Names and contact information of all parties involved, including any witnesses to the accidents
- Description of the vehicles involved, including the make and model of each vehicle
- Notes about and medical records for the injuries you sustained, including any minor injuries
- Insurance information for the other driver(s) involved in the accident
Recording this information will help you more accurately recall the details of your accident during trial if needed, as well as aid in correctly relaying any information to your Washington DC car accident attorney.
Our Lawyers Can Help Determine Fault After a Wreck
Drivers are liable for damages resulting from negligence while operating a motor vehicle.
Negligent activities that often lead to Motor Vehicle Accidents include:
- Inattention to road conditions
- Inability to signal properly when switching lanes or making a turn
- Texting while driving, which is illegal in Washington, D.C. – cellphone laws prohibit motorists under the age of 18 from using cellphones to text or talk while driving
- Exceeding the speed limit
- Running off the road or out of the proper lane
- Failure to properly maintain vehicle
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Defective vehicle equipment
- Other vehicle operator negligence
If you have been involved in any DC car accidents caused by negligent activities, you may be able to seek compensation to help get your life back on the right track. Negligent activities, such as the ones listed above, may also cause spinal cord injuries, traumatic brain injuries or other types of injuries. Your possible compensation can recover:
- Medical bills, including emergency room fees, surgical procedures and any other hospital costs
- Lost wages resulting from your car accident injury
- Costs of rehabilitation and physical therapy
- Disability or disfigurement
- Pain and suffering
- Wrongful death, including loss of companionship and loss of financial support
- Other out-of-pocket expenses resulting from the accident
Whether you have been injured in a texting and driving accident or have lost a loved one due to a drunk driver, our Washington DC car accident attorneys will assess your individual circumstances, working to help you receive the maximum compensation available and justice for your situation. We help victims of car wrecks in Washington, D.C.
When in Doubt, Seek Legal Counsel
If you have been injured in a car accident, it is important to contact us, DC personal injury lawyers who can assist you in pursuing an accident claim. A car accident attorney at Koonz McKenney Johnson & DePaolis LLP is available to answer any questions you may have regarding your accident, our any other personal injury. We are also available through our free online claim review form.
It costs you nothing to learn how a skilled Washington DC Car accident lawyer from our firm may be able to help. We have experience assisting other drivers hurt recover the most damages available to them after accidents. Since 1979, gaining clients’ justice has been our top priority. Get in touch with our Washington DC Personal Injury Lawyers for a free case evaluation.