Woman Sits on Exploding Toilet in DC Federal Building

A woman suffered serious injuries after she sat on a toilet that exploded in a DC federal building late last month. According to huffingtonpost.com, the toilet explosion happened in the General Services Administration (GSA) building. The woman’s injuries were not life-threatening, said the report.

An expert with Roto-Rooter said that a malfunctioning pressure-reducing valve likely caused the explosion. A pressure-reducing valve slows down the water as it travels through the pipe system. The water pressure is higher as it reaches the toilet, according to the plumbing expert.

After the explosion, workers inside the GSA building received a memo warning them not to flush toilets or use domestic water. The memo said a mechanical failure in the water system caused some damage to toilets inside the building. The memo mentioned an injury, but it did not go into detail about the toilet explosion.

The Roto-Rooter spokesperson said that exploding toilets are rare. While methane gas in the sewer can cause minor explosions, they are still rare, said the spokesperson. Did you initially think that a practical joke or prank caused the toilet to explode? Contact our office today.

Koonz, McKenney, Johnson & DePaolis L.L.P.

Maryland, Washington, D.C., and Virginia Injury Attorneys

Approved by attorney Roger Johnson