Virginia Injury Lawyers That Handle Car Accident Cases After An Auto Accident
What Should You Do If You Are Involved in an Automobile Accident?
If you are involved in an automobile collision, you should be aware of the following simple rules:
- Call the police so that they can document the date, time, place of the collision as well as the identities of the drivers involved;
- If you are injured, get medical attention as soon as possible. If your injuries are potentially serious, get to a hospital right away.
- When you get medical treatment, make sure to tell the doctors as much as you can recall about the collision;
- Always use your health insurance to cover your accident-related bills. Do not use your auto insurance coverage as your primary insurance if you have health insurance;
- Notify your auto insurance company of the collision;
- Do not give a recorded statement to the other driver’s insurance company;
- Consult with an attorney who specializes in personal injury claims as soon as you can;
- Give yourself time to heal from your injuries before you consider settlement;
- Do not sign a medical authorization for any insurance company before consulting your attorney;
- If you receive a subpoena to attend traffic court, be sure to comply with the subpoena and attend court as requested.
- Do not settle your case without an attorney advising you, no matter what the insurance company tells you.
If you are involved in an automobile collision, feel free to give us a call so that we can advise you on how you can protect your rights.
I am Peter DePaolis partner at Koonz, McKenney, Johnson & DePaolis.