Firefighters Respond to Gas Leak in DC

By Peter DePaolis

Emergency responders evacuated a building located near a reported natural gas leak earlier this month in Northwest DC. In a report at, the gas leak was on Massachusetts Avenue in the 2100 block. Washington, D.C. firefighters, and HazMat responders searched the area for the leak.

According to a spokesperson for the Washington, D.C. Firefighters Association, air-monitoring systems detected elevated gas readings in the area. Workers from Washington Gas were able to stop the leak, but authorities closed nearby streets as a precaution.

Although natural gas is non-toxic, colorless, and odorless, it is a highly combustible fuel. If ignited, a natural gas leak can lead to a deadly explosion. To aid detection, gas companies odorize natural gas with a chemical to give it an unpleasant odor. A damaged utility pipe can leak gas into a home, but the odor should make it easy to smell.

If you suspect a natural gas leak in or around your home, evacuate the area immediately. Move away from the suspected source and call 9-1-1. If natural gas heats your home, make sure the heating system is in good condition as winter approaches.

Have you ever come home to a gas leak? Get in touch with our team today.

Koonz, McKenney, Johnson & DePaolis L.L.P.

Maryland, Washington, D.C., and Virginia Injury Attorneys

Approved by attorney David Schloss

About the Author
Peter DePaolis joined the firm in 1980 and has since represented a large number of individuals involved in automobile collisions, truck accidents, bus crashes, defective products, and medical malpractice cases. A significant portion of Mr. DePaolis’ practice is devoted to working on behalf of people suffering from asbestosis, mesothelioma, and other asbestos-related cancers. He has led his firm’s fight against the asbestos industry and has recovered over $30 million in damages for asbestos victims and their families.