Bicycles are popular without the District. You can see individuals and families riding bicycles in all parts of DC. Unfortunately, bicycle accidents are also common in DC. With summer approaching, our DC bike accident attorney wants to remind everyone of things they can do to prevent bicycle accidents this summer.
10 Things You Can Do to Prevent a Bicycle Accident in DC
Summer usually means that more bicycles will be out on the roads and more visitors will be in DC. Increased traffic during the summer can place bicyclists at a greater risk of being injured in a bicycle crash.
Things you can do to avoid a bicycle accident this summer include:
- Inspect your bicycle and make any necessary repairs before riding
- Review bicycle safety tips with children and ensure they understand the rules for riding bicycles
- Follow all traffic laws and obey all traffic signals
- Know your route – Review your route before you leave home so that you are aware of speed limits, types of roads, and bicycle lanes
- Focus on the road at all times – Avoid distractions, including wearing headphones or earbuds
- Never ride a bicycle under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Make sure that drivers can see you by wearing brightly colored clothing and adding reflectors and lights to your bicycle
- Always ride in bicycle lanes whenever available
- Watch for pedestrians and motorists opening doors in your path
- Use hand signals to let drivers know when you are turning or stopping
Motorists can prevent bicycle accidents by avoiding distractions and following all traffic laws. Do not pass a bicyclist too closely, and always look for bicyclists before turning at red lights, intersections, or other places.
Even though you take all precautions to prevent a bicycle accident, you cannot control what a motorist might do. Therefore, you should always wear a bicycle helmet and protective gear. Helmets and pads reduce the risk of severe bicycle accident injuries.
What Should I Do After a DC Bicycle Accident?
If you are involved in a bicycle crash in DC, these steps can help protect your legal rights:
- Call 911 to report the crash and wait on emergency responders to arrive
- If possible, make a video of the accident scene and take photographs
- Ask bystanders and witnesses for their names and contact information
- Seek medical care for your injuries as soon as possible
- Do not discuss the bicycle accident with the insurance company for the drive without legal counsel
- Talk with a bicycle accident lawyer before signing any documents for the insurance provider or accepting a settlement offer
Seeking legal counsel as soon as possible after a bicycle accident is in your best interest. The insurance provider for the driver may not negotiate a fair settlement. An attorney can review your claim and determine the value of your damages.
Contact Our DC Bike Accident Attorney for a Free Consultation
Being injured in a bicycle accident in DC can cause severe physical and emotional trauma. A bike accident may also result in substantial medical bills, lost income, and other financial damages. You deserve to be compensated for your damages by the party who caused the bicycle accident.
Call today to schedule your free consultation with a DC bike accident attorney. Our attorney reviews your case free of charge during a confidential, no-obligation appointment.