Maryland Apartment Fire Injures Two Firefighters

An apartment fire in Montgomery County earlier this month injured two firefighters, according to myfoxdc.com. The fire also damaged several apartments in White Oak after apparently starting in an apartment on the top floor.

Fire investigators said a tenant left a pan unattended on the stove while cooking. The pan melted and started the blaze, said, investigators. The fire spread so quickly that some tenants did not have time to grab any belongings before having to flee their apartments. Two firefighters suffered injuries battling the fire. Doctors treated and released one, and the other suffered serious injuries that were non-life-threatening.

The fire caused severe fire, smoke and water damage to the property. Some apartments are a total loss, while other tenants may be able to salvage some of their belongings. Investigators said the damage is at the $1 million mark. The fire displaced 28 people, and the Red Cross was on-hand helping people find temporary shelter.

The National Fire Protection Association says that cooking equipment fires are the number one cause of home fires and injuries. Two-thirds of home fires start from over-heated cooking materials and food. For more information, contact our office today.

Koonz McKenney Johnson & DePaolis LLP

Maryland, Washington, D.C., and Virginia Injury Attorneys

Approved by attorney Justin Beall