It can be incredibly frustrating when an insurance company you are relying on for benefits fails to honor their duty and acts in bad faith. When a claim has been wrongfully denied, you may have reasonable cause to file a lawsuit against your insurer for compensation. Contact our office today to schedule a free initial consultation and case evaluation with our knowledgeable insurance bad faith lawyers of Koonz McKenney Johnson & DePaolis LLP today. We offer free case evaluations and serve Spanish-speaking clients. Habalamos Español.
For information on bad faith insurance and car accident claims in Washington, D.C., visit our car accident attorney page to learn more.
Why Choose Koonz McKenney Johnson & DePaolis LLP?
- We have more than 38 years of experience successfully dealing with insurance companies.
- Our attorneys are considered leaders in their fields and are well respected among their peers.
- Our firm’s top priority is to help you, we won’t charge you a legal fee unless we obtain compensation for you.
What is ‘Bad Faith’ in D.C.?
Insurance companies are required by law to act in good faith and deal fairly with policy holders. They must do so by following through on the agreed upon duties they have promised to you, since they entered into a contract (policy) with you. This includes the duty of paying claims and doing so promptly. If an insurance company does not comply and breaches their duty to you, their acts would be dishonest and deceptive, or considered to be bad faith.
D.C. Bad Faith Insurance Actions
The following are examples of how an insurance company can act improperly, or in bad faith when handling a claim:
- Not adequately investigating a claim.
- Failing to affirm or deny coverage of claims within a reasonable time frame.
- Ignoring telephone calls, letters, and emails about a valid claim.
- Delaying benefits payment.
- Denying payment altogether.
- Denying your claim without giving a reason as to why.
- Discounting payment for a valid claim without a reasonable basis.
- Refusing to defend you against a claim or lawsuit.
- Refusing to settle a claim that’s within your policy limits.
- Making a settlement offer that is unconscionably low and unsupported by the factual record.
When do you need a Bad Faith Insurance Lawyer in D.C.?
An insurance bad faith lawyer will have experience handling these types of complicated claims and will be knowledgeable in Washington, D.C.’s laws regarding bad faith, giving them the ability to advise you regarding whether you have a viable case or not. Insurance companies employ teams of highly skilled lawyers, meant to intimidate you. They will attempt to minimize and refute your claim of bad faith practices. If it is decided that you do have a substantial claim, your attorney will know what needs to be done in order to construct a solid case on your behalf. Having a lawyer advocate for you will be your best chance for obtaining compensation.
Contact Our Office Today | Free Consultations
Although not every claim denial amounts to an act of bad faith, if you feel as if you are being treated unfairly by your insurance company, speak to an experienced insurance bad faith lawyer. We will evaluate your case for free and advise you of your legal options. Call today or fill out our online contact form to schedule a free consultation.
Koonz McKenney Johnson & Depaolis serve residents of Washington DC including those living in Capitol Hill, Columbia Heights, Downtown District of Columbia, Foggy Bottom, Georgetown, and Mount Vernon.