Hurt In A Car, Truck, Subway Or Other Accident?
Our DC, Virginia And Maryland Accident Attorneys Want To Help
Motor Vehicle Accidents happen in seconds, however, the effects can last a lifetime. Motor Vehicle Accidents include any accident resulting from collisions involving one or more automobiles, motorcycles, trucks, subways, airplanes or boats. These types of vehicle accidents are among the most common causes of accidental injury and death nationwide.
If you or a loved one suffered personal injuries in a collision caused by another driver, you need to understand the laws surrounding such accidents and your ability to recover the compensation you need from the responsible party. Our accident lawyers, with offices located in DC, Maryland and Virginia, pride themselves in helping accident victims and are ready to fight for your case. The following information, provided by a Washington, D.C. car accident lawyer, will help educate you about what to do if you were involved in a transportation accident and your legal rights afterwards.
Auto accidents are very common, yet often preventable. We handle too many accident cases that could have been avoided, which is why we created our guide on how to avoid car accident in and around DC. While you cannot prevent all accidents, following our tips can help lower your risk of becoming involved as well as prevent and/or minimize injuries in Motor Vehicle Accidents.
What Should I Do If I Was in a Car Accident?
If you have been involved in a transportation accident, it is important that you immediately seek medical attention. In addition to consulting a physician, you should record the following information as soon as possible to ensure that you fully remember the details of your accident:
- The location, date and time of the accident
- Names and contact information of all parties involved, including any witnesses to the accidents
- Description of the vehicles involved, including the make and model of each vehicle
- Notes about and medical records for the injuries you sustained, including any minor injuries
- Insurance information for the other driver(s) involved in the accident
Recording this information will help you more accurately recall the details of your accident during trial, if needed, as well as aid in correctly relaying any information to your accident lawyer.
Our Washington, D.C. Accident Lawyers Can Help Determine Fault after a Wreck
Drivers are liable for damages resulting from negligence while operating a motor vehicle. Negligent activities that often lead to Motor Vehicle Accidents include:
- Inattention to road conditions
- Inability to signal properly when switching lanes or making a turn
- Texting while driving, which is illegal in Washington, D.C. and Maryland – Virginia cellphone laws prohibit motorists under the age of 18 from using cellphones to text or talk while driving
- Exceeding the speed limit
- Running off the road or out of the proper lane
- Failure to properly maintain vehicle
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Defective vehicle equipment
- Other vehicle operator negligence
Common Damages in Car Accident Cases
If you have been involved in an accident caused by negligent activities, you may be able to seek compensation to help get your life back on the right track. Negligent activities, such as the ones listed above, may also cause spinal cord injuries, traumatic brain injuries or other types of injuries. Your possible compensation can recover:
- Medical bills, including emergency room fees, surgical procedures and any other hospital costs
- Lost wages resulting from your car accident injury
- Costs of rehabilitation and physical therapy
- Disability or disfigurement
- Pain and suffering
- Wrongful death, including loss of companionship and loss of financial support
- Other out-of-pocket expenses resulting from the accident
Whether you have been injured in a texting and driving accident or have lost a loved one due to a drunk driver, our automobile accident lawyers in Washington, D.C., Maryland and Virginia will assess your individual circumstances, working to help you receive the maximum compensation available and justice for your situation.
Car Accident Lawyers Serving In and Around DC, Greenbelt and Fairfax
If you have been injured in a transportation accident, it is important to contact a DC personal injury lawyer who can assist you in pursuing an accident claim. A Washington, D.C. auto accident attorney at Koonz, McKenney, Johnson, DePaolis & Lightfoot, L.L.P. is available to answer any questions you may have regarding your accident. All you have to do is call our DC number at (202) 659-5500, our Fairfax number at (703) 218-4410 or our Greenbelt number at (301) 345-5700 to schedule your free review. We are also available through our free online claim review form.
It costs you nothing to learn how we may be able to help and about our experience assisting other drivers hurt in Virginia, Maryland and Washington, D.C. recover the most damages available them after accidents. Since 1979, gaining clients justice has been our top priority.