Vaporizing devices turn liquid chemicals such as nicotine and flavorings into vapor for the user to inhale through a battery-powered portable device, often called a vape or e-cigarette. Vapes quickly became popular after their debut, especially among teen users. Unfortunately, many consumers underestimate the significant health and safety risks associated with vapes.
At Koonz McKenney Johnson & DePaolis LLP, our Washington, DC vape injury lawyers are passionate about protecting consumers from defective, dangerous and negligently marketed vaporizers. If you or a loved one has a vape injury of any kind, please contact us to schedule a free consultation. Call (202) 659-5500 for a case evaluation today.
Why Choose Our Vape Injury Lawyers in DC?
- Our attorneys have recovered over $1 billion on behalf of their clients.
- Our personal injury law firm has over 40 years of proven results.
- Our lawyers care about the community and are always looking for new ways to help.
- Our law firm provides individualized care and tailored legal services to each client.
- Our DC vape injury lawyers accept clients on a contingency fee basis.
What Are Vape Injuries?
Vape devices are potentially dangerous for users in many different respects. JUUL devices, for example, contain almost five times the amount of nicotine in one cartridge as a cigarette. This poses a high risk of nicotine addiction and related health issues, including possible brain development delays in underage users. Other problems with vape devices could cause many other types of injuries. Many users do not recognize the potential risks of vaping.
- Undisclosed health risks. A vaping illness health departments call e-cigarette, or vaping, product use-associated lung injury has taken 68 lives in the last year. It can interfere with normal lung function, most likely from inhaling vitamin E acetate. Another health risk vape companies failed to disclose is popcorn lung (bronchiolitis obliterans). Vape pens can cause popcorn lung from users inhaling diacetyl in flavor cartridges.
- Intentionally marketing to minors. Some parents have brought lawsuits against vape companies for allegedly targeting teenagers. Vape use among teens and adolescents could lead to nicotine addiction, along with related risks such as improper brain development. Commercials and ads allegedly directed toward teens could make vape companies liable for related damages.
- Exploding vape pens. Defective lithium-ion batteries in vape devices caused 195 explosions and fires, 133 injuries, and 38 severe injuries from 2009 to 2016 (source: S. Fire Administration). Exploding vape pens are defective devices that could lead to liability on the pen and/or battery manufacturer for related injuries and deaths.
Vape illnesses can cause symptoms such as trouble breathing, shortness of breath, persistent cough, abdominal pain, fatigue, nausea and vomiting. Exploding vaporizers can cause catastrophic injuries such as burns, lacerations, brain injuries, eye injuries, lost limbs, shrapnel injuries, and permanent scarring and disfigurement. At Koonz McKenney Johnson & DePaolis LLP, we can help victims fight for compensation for all types of vape-related injuries, illnesses and deaths in DC.
Can You Recover Compensation?
A vape injury or illness could cost thousands of dollars in medical expenses. It could also cost in terms of emotional suffering and physical pain. These are all compensable damages in Washington, DC. As the victim of a vape injury, you could be eligible to recover financial compensation for related hospital bills, lost wages, property damages, pain and suffering, legal fees, and more. One or multiple defendants may owe you and your family compensation for vape-related damages.
Contact a DC Vape Injury Lawyer Today
Discover what your DC vape injury claim might be worth during a free consultation at Koonz McKenney Johnson & DePaolis LLP. Our lawyers can review your case, ask you questions, listen to your story and let you know how much we believe you should demand from the defendant for your damages. If you need help investigating your claim or identifying the defendant, we can take care of these steps on your behalf as well. Work with our DC vape injury lawyers from the beginning for your best odds of success. Call (202) 659-5500 or contact us online today.