David M. Schloss is an injury attorney and partner in the law firm of Koonz McKenney Johnson & DePaolis LLP. He joined the law firm in 1987 and has earned a reputation as one of the leading personal injury and workers’ compensation attorneys in the District of Columbia.
Mr. Schloss has extensive practice in general negligence matters, including construction accidents, medical malpractice claims, slip and fall injuries, and car accidents. He has represented individuals with all types of personal injuries, ranging from back injuries to loss of limbs to birth trauma. His negligence practice is limited to representing the interests of injured individuals in their battles against insurance companies and corporate defendants.
Among the notable cases that Mr. Schloss has handled, he:
- Successfully represented eight plaintiffs and served as lead plaintiffs’ counsel in litigation arising out of the Washington Navy Yard shootings that took place in September of 2013 in which 12 people were killed;
- Represents the families of all seven Navy seamen who were tragically killed, and over 40 seamen who were seriously injured, in June of 2017 in the collision between the USS Fitzgerald and the ACX Crystal off the coast of Japan;
- Successfully represented an award-winning journalist who sustained life-altering injuries from an enemy grenade while embedded with U.S. Army troops in Baghdad during the Iraq War;
- Represents two American victims of a terrorist attack in Bamako, Mali in 2015.
In addition to his experience in handling general negligence claims, Mr. Schloss is responsible for negotiating for his clients some of the largest workers’ compensation settlements in the District. He has also conducted seminars concerning D.C. workers’ compensation law and has aggressively lobbied for the maintenance and creation of laws in the District that protects the interests of injured employees.
Mr. Schloss received his B.A. from Tufts University in Medford, Massachusetts, where he graduated with honors in 1985. He then moved to the Washington area to attend law school at George Washington University, where he took courses in both workers’ compensation and general negligence law. He is a member of the District of Columbia Bar, Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C. and American Association for Justice. He has attained the highest possible ratings from his peers and clients as published by Lawyers.com, Super Lawyers, and Avvo.
HOW TO CONTACT ATTORNEY DAVID SCHLOSS
If you would like to contact Mr. Schloss or another attorney please contact us at one of our offices or fill out a contact form.
- “Dear Mr. Schloss: We will make sure anyone we know who needs legal help gets your name and phone number. As we said before, without your help we know this would have taken much longer and things may have turned out completely different than they have. We both know it takes someone who knows the law and isn’t afraid to go nose to nose with someone just to make sure his client isn’t getting scraps thrown to them by these insurance companies. We also know these adjusters play these intimidation games against workers who are guilty of nothing more than getting hurt while doing their job. It feels great to know they can play all they want, but in the end, they lose. You have taught me so much about patience and the law. My wife and I both believe you have done an excellent job watching out for our best interests. It’s because of your hard work that we have had about the best year since the start of this whole mess.” – Client from Maryland
- “I wanted to thank you and Mrs . Kelly for all of your efforts on my case. The outcome was better than I ever imagined. I would definitely recommend you to anyone in need of an attorney. Thank you!” – Client from Virginia
- “Special thanks to Mr. Schloss and his assistant Suzy Kelly. You guys are the Best of the Best.” – Client from Washington, D.C.
- “It’s nice to have a hard-working team we can count on in times such as this. I know sometimes people don’t express the appreciation of what you have to do and exactly what you have to go through to get an answer for a client. I wanted to be sure you know how my wife and I feel about you being there when we need help. That in itself gives us the satisfaction that the problem will be properly and confidently taken care of. We owe so much to Mr. Schloss and you for taking care of us and leading the way when times were tough. Money can’t buy that type of dedication. A person really has to love what they’re doing to do that type of job for their clients. We’re glad you both are on our side.”
- “Greetings David: Please, allow me to express once more my sincerest regards and appreciation for you and what you have done for me and my family. Please, consider me a friend, and I will always keep you in mind and spread the word about your outstanding and capable service. You are a brilliant negotiator – I learned from you. Sincerest Best Wishes” – Client from Virginia
- “I would not be here today without your kind effort. My family and I greatly appreciate your help. I will never forget you – I’ll remember you forever!” – Client from Maryland
- “Dear Mr. Schloss: Everything is going well. Money is invested very well. You’re an ACE in my book! Thanks again!” – Client from Maryland
- “David, I wanted to make sure you knew how much my wife and I both appreciate what you do, and have done for us. We are and have been very fortunate to have someone such as yourself in our corner backing us up for these many years now. Not once have you ever taken the easy road, and you have always been right there making sure we weren’t being taken advantage of. We both know how hard it is for a client and their attorney to get along in some instances, and we also know everyone isn’t always going to see eye to eye when things don’t go the way a client feels they should. Please know you are more than just an attorney. We consider you our friend as well.” – Client from Maryland
- “Dear David & Suzy: Just going through my records and noticed that I did not send you all a thank you on behalf of my father and our family. We want to thank you both for all your help in resolving our claim. You both were a pleasure to work with; caring, knowledgeable, dependable, and professional. You allowed our family to concentrate on the healing process. We only regret not contacting you all sooner. You guys rock!!!!” – Client from Maryland
- “To David, whose legal skills are exceeded only by his kindness and generosity.” – Client from Washington, D.C.
- “You all are and always have been awesome! Thanks so much.” – Client from Maryland
- “Always an awesome team! Always an awesome job! Many times through the years I have needed both David and you (Suzy) to maintain and keep things straight. Always remember I appreciate everything you all do and have done for me!!” – Client from Maryland
- “David, thank you for all the hard work and also the friendship! Hope your holiday is full of joy.” – Client from Virginia
- “Thanks to you, I’m doing great and enjoying my retirement. I’m forever grateful.” – Client from Washington, D.C.
- “Thank you again for all of your help. You’ve been wonderful.” – Client from Washington, D.C.
- “Thanks again for your tireless representation. It’s much appreciated!” – Client from Maryland
- “Thanks again for doing a great job as always. Without your help, we’d be sunk!” – Client from Maryland
- “Thank you for all of your hard work over the past five years. You have provided our family with a fresh start on our future and we cannot thank you enough. You are truly a gem.” – Client from Maryland
- “David, I recently reviewed our communications during my case back in 1999-2000 and I have to repeat my estimation: You are one wonderful attorney.” – Client from California
- “Dear Mr. Schloss: Throughout the years you have done a wonderful job. We appreciate your wisdom, help and guidance. Without that, we wouldn’t have made it.” – Client from Maryland
- “Dear Mr. Schloss: I know my wife and I could never repay you for all of your help and kindness during this ordeal. We both want you to know we appreciate everything you and your staff have done for us and continue to do for us. We are both glad you are on our side and not representing the insurance company. When we are young we all have to make a decision of what we want to do with our lives as well as what profession we would like to be involved in. When you made your decision to become a lawyer, you made the perfect decision. There are many lawyers, but there are only a few who dedicate their lives to their profession and are as compassionate as you are about your clients and getting the job done the right way the first time.” – Client from Maryland
- “Dear Mr. Schloss: I wish to thank you for the fantastic job that you accomplished yesterday. I hope that you know how much I appreciate what you have done for me. As the saying goes, when you ’re good, you’re good. I consider you as being fantastic.” – Client from West Virginia
- “This is going to help me out a lot and I am really thankful for all your help. You have done a great job. Thank you.” – Client from Virginia
- “As always I appreciate your time and honest evaluation of things I don’t see or sometimes understand. …I have not only grown to trust your judgment, but consider you a good friend who tells me exactly like it is in the real world.” – Client from Maryland
- “Mr. Schloss: My life and finances have really changed because of you. The blessings of God in heaven sent me a great lawyer. Thank you for everything. You are a friend for life..” – Client from Washington, D.C.
- “Dear David: I know there are still things to wrap up on my case, but this seems like a good time to tell you how much your good work means to me. From the time of my injury I have encountered people who are truly angels in my life, and it feels important that you know what a gift your representation of me is. Thank you for your kindness and patience, and for not dismissing my injury just because it is invisible. Best Wishes” – Client from Virginia