Researchers at Howard University evaluated traffic in Washington D.C. from 2010 through 2012. The report revealed some startling statistics.
- In 2012, over 18,000 crashes occurred. The average accident involved two vehicles, meaning that over 36,000 vehicles were in accidents that year.
- For every 100 million miles traveled, driving in Washington caused injuries to 200 people.
- Side-swiping is the most frequent type of crash, followed by rear-ending. About 10 percent of sideswipe crashes caused injuries, while rear-end collisions were usually more severe, leading to injury 38 percent of the time.
- There were 463 head-on crashes in 2012, and injuries were sustained in almost half of them. Another accident that seemed to cause a lot of injuries was simply running off the road, which happened 87 times that year.
- Crashes involving pedestrians are the most fatal. Over 800 people were struck by cars while on foot, causing 650 injuries and six deaths.
- Pedestrian accident victims were almost equally likely to be men or women, while more than three quarters of bicyclists involved in accidents were male.
- Driver inattention was the single most common contributing factor in all accidents, and unsurprisingly, cellphones were the most frequently identified distraction.
I Was Hit While in Traffic in Washington, D.C.. Can I File A Lawsuit?
It is obvious from these statistics that we need to be more careful on our roads. If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident caused by a careless driver, our Washington, D.C., Virginia and Maryland injury attorneys can help.
The Koonz, McKenney, Johnson, DePaolis & Lightfoot, LLP legal team has been defending the victims of car accidents for over 30 years. We will help you secure the compensation that you deserve for the emotional, physical and financial hardships you have endured. For more information, or to schedule a free consultation, call our firm today.
Did You Know? The majority of car accidents occur within 3 miles of the driver’s home.
Sponsored by William Lightfoot
Koonz, McKenney, Johnson, DePaolis & Lightfoot, L.L.P.
Maryland, Washington, D.C. and Virginia Injury Attorneys