With the Super Bowl teams set for the big game, fans across the country will be hosting or attending Super Bowl parties. Whether you are hosting or attending a game day celebration (which typically includes consuming alcohol), it is important to remember that buzzed driving is drunk driving. Many drivers fail to realize how a .08 blood alcohol content impairs their driving skills. In 2010, 10,228 people lost their lives in car accidents involving at least one driver with a blood alcohol content of .08 or higher, according to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA).
NHTSA has these tips for hosting a safe Super Bowl Sunday party:
- Serve plenty of food for your guests
- Be sure that any guests who are drinking have designated drivers to drive them home
- Make sure the designated driver(s) have plenty of soda, juice, water, or other non-alcoholic drinks
- Have the telephone numbers for taxi companies handy
- Stop serving alcohol one hour before the end of the game and begin serving coffee
- Make sure the designated drivers have easy access to their cars and other vehicles are not blocking their exit
And as always, remind everyone to buckle their seatbelts as they leave your home.
Has an intoxicated football fan injured you or a loved one in a car accident? Don’t hesitate to give our team a call.
Approved by attorney David Schloss