Each year, thousands of people suffer spinal cord injuries (SCIs) in the U.S. Many cases could be avoided, but are the result of a traumatic accident caused by the negligent actions of another party. If you have suffered a spinal cord injury at the fault of another, please contact a Virginia SCI attorney at Koonz McKenney Johnson & DePaolis LLP so we may discuss your legal options. Contact our office today to schedule a free consultation.
Why Choose Us
- We have been fighting on behalf of spinal cord victims for over 38 years.
- We have a consistent record of significant results, having successfully recovered over $1 billion in compensation for our injured clients.
- Our firm is dedicated to serving our community and holding reckless individuals or companies responsible for their actions.
- We understand how difficult this time is for you and will not charge you a penny unless we win your case.
Common Causes of Spinal Cord Injuries in Fairfax
Most instances of Fairfax SCIs commonly happen in accidents such as these:
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Workplace accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Defective products
- Sports or recreational accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Acts of violence
Any time an SCI occurs that could have potentially been avoided, the at-fault party may be liable. A lawyer with experience in SCI cases can determine responsible parties.
Fairfax Spinal Cord Injury Statistics
- Approximately 288,000 people are living with an SCI in the U.S.
- Car accidents are the leading cause of SCIs, responsible for 38.3% of all cases since 2015.
- Falls are the second leading cause of SCI injuries (31.6%), followed by acts of violence (13.8%), sports (8.2%), medical/surgical (4.6%), and lastly other reasons (3.5%).
- Alcohol use was a factor in approximately 25% of all SCI cases.
- Incomplete tetraplegia (partially damage) is the most frequent type of SCI (47.2%).
- The average hospital stay in an acute care unit for an SCI is 11 days.
- The average stay for rehabilitation is 34 days.
- The average age an SCI occurs is 43.
- 78% of new cases are male.
- A high tetraplegia SCI can cost over one million in expenses the first year, not including indirect costs such as lost income.
Liability in a Fairfax SCI Case
When an SCI is caused by another individual’s negligence, the at-fault party may be liable for the victim’s losses. In order to show liability, the plaintiff needs to prove these four elements:
Duty of Care – The defendant owed the plaintiff a legal duty of care.
Breach of Duty of Care – The defendant breached this duty of care.
Causation – The defendant’s breach of duty of care caused the SCI.
Damages – The plaintiff suffered financial losses due to the injury.
Examples of liability in SCI cases include, a manufacturer of defective seatbelts that cause a SCI in a car accident or a doctor responsible for causing a SCI during surgery may face a medical malpractice suit.
Why a Fairfax SCI Attorney is Necessary
There are many benefits in hiring a spinal cord injury attorney, as they will keep your best interests in mind while representing you so that you can give your attention to recovering. A lawyer will help you by investigating the accident, compiling evidence, negotiating with insurance companies, and representing you at trial if necessary. Spinal cord injury cases are delicate, as medical and living expenses for victims can be astronomical. Your best possible chance of obtaining the amount of compensation that your injury is warranted, will be through an attorney advocating for you.
Speak to a Qualified Fairfax SCI Attorney Today
Our spinal cord injury attorneys at Koonz McKenney Johnson & DePaolis LLP have the necessary experience it takes to evaluate your case and help you determine the extent to which you can receive relief from your financial burden. Contact our office today to schedule a free consultation.