Even though bicyclists have the same rights as motor vehicles while sharing the road, when accidents occur, cyclists are much more susceptible to serious injuries and possibly death. Suffering a serious injury can have a life-changing impact that can be difficult to recover from. If you or a loved one is the victim of a Northern Virginia bicycle accident, speak to one of our top personal injury lawyers at Koonz McKenney Johnson & DePaolis LLP today. Call or fill out our online contact form to schedule a free consultation to discuss your rights.
Why Choose Our Northern Virginia Bicycle Accident Attorney team?
Our firm has over 38 years of experience in offering reliable representation to bicycle accident clients.
Your needs come first, we will not charge you a fee unless we win your case.
We will work closely with you to develop a plan that will help us obtain the best possible resolution so that you may focus on recovery.
Our extensive experience grants us the ability to negotiate firmly and effectively on your behalf with the insurance companies.
Bicycle Accident Statistics
- In 2016, motor vehicle accidents were responsible for 840 bicyclist fatalities.
- Of all fatal bicyclist crashes in 2016, 35% involved alcohol.
- Approximately 45,000 bicyclists were injured in 2015, according to the latest U.S. injury data.
- In 2016, 10 bicyclists were killed in Virginia.
- The Virginia DMV reports that 712 bicyclists were injured in Virginia in 2014.
- Bicyclist deaths occur most often between 6 p.m. and 9 p.m. throughout the year.
- More bicyclist deaths occur in urban areas, rather than rural areas.
- There were 5.6 times more male bicyclist fatalities than female in 2016.
These statistics are courtesy of the U.S. Department of Transportation’s 2016 Traffic Safety Facts, unless noted otherwise.
Northern Virginia Bicycle Accident Laws
Virginia bicycle laws state that bicyclists are to operate similarly to motor vehicle drivers, in that they must follow these rules of the road given by the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles:
- Obey all traffic signs, signals, lights, and markings.
- Ride along with traffic on the right side.
- Use hand signals for turns and stops.
- Use the turn lanes when turning.
- Use the far right lane, the designated bike lane, or the right shoulder when significantly slower than other traffic.
- Two cyclists can ride side by side, but no more.
- When slower than traffic, ride in a single file line
- Stay off interstate highways and limited-access roads that have signs restricting riding.
- Give the right of way to pedestrians on the sidewalk or paths and call to them when approaching from behind or passing.
- Children must be in special seats or trailers
- White headlamps visible up to 500 feet, rear reflectors, and a red taillight must be used at night.
Negligence in a Bicycle Accident
For an injured bicyclist to pursue a lawsuit against an at-fault driver, the fact that the driver acted negligently and violated their duty of care to look out for others on the road must be proven. Examples of driver negligence include disobeying traffic signs, speeding, aggressive driving, or distracted driving. To prove negligence, evidence such as eyewitness testimony, traffic camera video, or phone records will be crucial. At the time of the accident, if the driver is cited for a violation such as speeding, that would serve as evidence of negligence. In that case, the burden of proof would fall on the at-fault driver to show that their actions did not result in injury to the bicyclist.
Why You Need a Northern Virginia Bicycle Accident Attorney
Proving negligence to hold a driver liable in a bicycle accident case can be more difficult than expected, especially since Virginia is one of the few states that govern under the rule of contributory negligence. Under this rule, you must prove that the negligent driver was 100 percent at fault in the accident for you to obtain compensation for your losses. A knowledgeable bicycle accident attorney will be able to compile a strong case for you by gathering the evidence needed to give you the best possible chance of receiving the monetary damages you deserve.
Contact Our Northern Virginia Bicycle Accident Attorney Today!
The bicycle accident lawyers at Koonz McKenney Johnson & DePaolis LLP are ready to help by alleviating you from all of your legal stress. We will guide you through the complex litigation process and work tirelessly to formulate a legal strategy that will get you the maximum amount of compensation possible. Call today to schedule a free consultation.