Asbestos is a set of fibrous minerals that have been used in thousands of products and has since been discovered to be toxic and the cause of various diseases and forms of cancer. If you believe that you or a family member is suffering from an asbestos-related illness, you may be able to seek compensation. Contact the law firm of Koonz McKenney Johnson & DePaolis LLP today and speak with a Fairfax asbestos lawyer. We offer free consultations.
Why Choose Our Firm
- We have an extensive record of success in asbestos-related cases and have won over $1 billion in total compensation.
- Our solid team of lawyers has been representing injured victims for over 38 years.
- We don’t charge upfront fees, and will only accept payment once we win your case.
Types of Asbestos-Related Illnesses in Fairfax
There are at least 12 illnesses related to asbestos exposure, the most serious are:
A type of cancer that can cause tumors to develop in the lining of the lungs (pleural mesothelioma), the abdomen (peritoneal mesothelioma) and/or the heart (pericardial mesothelioma). Early symptoms may be generic or there may be none at all, as a result, the cancer is usually diagnosed in its later stages.
Although benign, this lung disease has the potential to be fatal. Lung tissue becomes inflamed and severely scarred, causing chest tightness and breathing to be difficult.
Caused by substantial asbestos exposure over a long period of time. Smoking can significantly increase the chances of developing lung cancer after exposure to toxic minerals.
Asbestos exposure increases the risk of ovarian cancer in women.
A link has been discovered between asbestos and cancer of the larynx. Smoking and alcohol can also affect the risk of contracting the disease.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:
- Mesothelioma was the underlying or contributing cause of death for more than 45,200 people between 1999 and 2015.
- Between 1999 and 2015, annual deaths increased from 2,479 to 2,597.
- People between the ages of 75-84 make up the majority of mesothelioma deaths.
- Construction has been and remains one of the riskiest occupations for asbestos exposure.
- Almost 64% of all mesothelioma deaths are from cancer in the lungs (pleural mesothelioma). It is the most common type of asbestos-related cancer.
- Males make up approximately 80% of all mesothelioma deaths.
Liability for Asbestos Related Illnesses in Fairfax
Liability for asbestos-related illnesses relies on the conditions in which the exposure occurred, but most cases are due to occupational exposure. Potentially liable defendants for an occupational exposure case can include employers if they failed to warn employees about working with hazardous materials, or the manufacturer of a product containing asbestos. Most claims for asbestos exposure fall under product liability. Cases filed under this law will be based on one of these claims: strict liability, negligence, or breach of warranty.
When do you need a Fairfax Asbestos Lawyer?
Because asbestos exposure cases are complex and more than one company or person may be liable, it is best to work with a lawyer who has handled these types of cases before. Illness from exposure to asbestos can happen years later, which is why a thorough investigation into the cause of your ailment will need to be conducted. Lawyers have the money and resources needed to complete this task and construct a strong foundation to your claim, increasing the chances of a successful outcome.
Speak to a Qualified Fairfax Asbestos Lawyer
Our team at Koonz McKenney Johnson & DePaolis LLP is ready to help you obtain the compensation you deserve. Fill out our online contact form today to reserve time for a free consultation.