A car accident caused by a drunk driver can have a devastating impact on your life. Nearly 11,000 people died due to accidents involving alcohol-impaired driver in 2017 alone. If you or a loved one has suffered serious injuries as a result of a DUI accident, you may be entitled to compensation. Contact the law firm of Koonz McKenney Johnson & DePaolis LLP free consultation today with our experienced Northern Virginia DUI Accident Lawyer.
Why Choose Our Northern Virginia DUI Attorney
- We have been successfully advocating on behalf of DUI accident victims for over 38 years.
- We have recovered over $1 billion in compensation for all of our injured clients.
- There is no risk to you, as we work on a contingency fee basis, meaning we will not charge any fees unless we win your case.
Types of Compensation You Can Recover in Northern Virginia
When you’ve been injured by a drunk driver, these are the types of compensation you can potentially recover:
This includes any medical expenses directly resulting from your accident injuries, such as emergency treatment, surgery, rehabilitation, necessary medical equipment, and more.
Any past, present, and future lost wages, as well as compensation for diminished earning capacity, can be recovered.
Any damage to your vehicle and to your personal property that was inside the vehicle at the time of the accident.
Pain and Suffering
Physical pain, psychological stress due to the accident, and damage to your quality of life.
These damages are intended to punish the defendant and to send a message to others. Virginia Code § 8.01-44.5 details when punitive damages may be recovered in a DUI accident case. It states, that if the drunk driver’s blood alcohol content was higher than 0.15 percent by weight by volume or 0.15 grams or more per 210 liters of breath, then the driver either knew or should have been aware that their ability to operate a vehicle was impaired.
Northern Virginia DUI Accident Statistics
- Alcohol use led to 29.4% of all traffic-related deaths, down from 33% in 2016.
- Alcohol-related crashes comprised 5.7% of all traffic accidents in Virginia.
- 4,430 people were injured in accidents involving alcohol.
- The highest amount of alcohol-related crash fatalities occurred in Virginia Beach City.
- There was an 8% increase in crashes where drivers were both distracted and under the influence.
- The chance of being in an alcohol-related crash in Virginia is one in six over the course of a lifetime.
- There were 18,701 DUI convictions.
Liability in a DUI Accident
When it comes to a DUI accident claim, the impaired driver being arrested or even convicted for driving under the influence may not be enough to prove liability. Virginia is one of the few states that practices under the rule of contributory negligence. The rule of contributory negligence states that you are unable to receive compensation if you are found to be even partially at fault in a DUI accident. A lawyer with experience in DUI cases will be able to evaluate your case and advise you on the best course of action.
Why You Need a DUI Accident Lawyer
DUI accident cases may settle outside of court, but having representation will protect you from an insurance company’s attempts to lowball your settlement or get out of paying you altogether. Your DUI accident lawyer will obtain police reports, physical evidence, witness testimony, hire investigators, and accident reconstruction experts so they may determine fault. This will allow your lawyer to negotiate a full and fair settlement.
Contact Our Northern Virginia DUI Accident Lawyer Today
The personal injury law firm of Koonz McKenney Johnson & DePaolis LLP has extensive experience handling DUI accident cases. We can protect your rights during this difficult time so that you may focus on healing. Call today for a free consultation.