Skilled Bicycle Injury Attorneys Assisting Cyclists in Washington D.C., Maryland and Virginia
As part of the Vision Zero program, the District Department of Transportation (DDOT) reviewed five of some of the most dangerous intersections in D.C. These five intersections, which are known for the particularly high number of car and bicycle accidents that occur at them, have had three deaths and 12 serious injuries in the last three years. These intersections include:
- 1st Street NE and Massachusetts Avenue NE, near Union Station
- Bladensburg Road NE and New York Avenue NE
- 14th Street NW and U Street NW
- Minnesota Avenue NE and Benning Road NE
- M Street NW and Wisconsin Avenue NW
This year, the DDOT is scheduled to analyze five more traffic stops with a high number of bicycle accidents, the first of which was 14th Street and Columbia Road NW. According to the associate director of planning for the DDOT, this 14th Street and Columbia Road is the worst intersection for bicycle accidents, particularly sideswipe accidents. Bicyclists are also often hit with opening car doors. DDOT records show there have been almost 100 accidents since 2013 at this intersection. Along with 14th Street and Columbia Road NW, the following intersections are being analyzed this year:
- 18th Street and Adams Mill Road NW
- Georgia Avenue and Kennedy Street NW
- 44th Street and Nannie Helen Burroughs Avenue NE
What is the DDOT Doing to Make These Dangerous Intersections Safer?
While recognizing a problem is the first step towards fixing it, Vision Zero and the DDOT have done little beyond identifying dangerous intersections. No steps have been taken to make them safer for both drivers and bicyclists.
Now that the DDOT and Vision Zero have identified these problems, they need to work together to make the following safety improvements:
- Increased traffic enforcement
- Widening bike lanes
- Repainting faded bike lane marks
- Switching out a green light for a green arrow for all left-turning lanes
- Installing a “bike box,” which would designate where bicyclists should stop behind the crosswalk
The Washington, D.C. personal injury attorneys at Koonz McKenney Johnson & DePaolis LLP help victims who have sustained injuries or lost loved ones in bicycle accidents. We offer free consultations. Call us today to speak to an experienced attorney.