Montgomery County firefighters pulled a 10-year-old boy from a burning house earlier this month in Rockville. The boy is still recovering from his burn injuries at Children’s National Medical Center in Washington, D.C., according to the report at gazette.net.
The Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service said a 220-volt plug in the home caused the blaze. Firefighters were quickly on the scene and extinguished the fire. There were no other reported injuries, according to the report.
The principal of the boy’s elementary school said the family hopes for a full recovery. Many of his classmates live in the neighborhood and saw the house fire, said the principal. School officials have been helping students deal with any potential trauma.
Property damage from the fire is approximately $75,000 in addition to the estimated $50,000 in contents lost in the fire. The U.S. Fire Administration reports that 13 percent of all civilian fire fatalities are less than 10 years old. The majority of the fire deaths occur in the children’s bedrooms, according to the federal agency.
Maryland’s large number of row housing structures creates a greater risk of fires easily spreading to nearby homes. Safety experts recommend working smoking alarms on every floor of a home.
Koonz, McKenney, Johnson, DePaolis & Lightfoot, L.L.P.
Maryland, Washington, D.C. and Virginia Injury Attorneys